129 items found for ""jessie-florence-jones""
- White Empathy Falls Short: Steve McQueen's 'Small Axe' Series Reviewed
by Jessie Florence Jones “This film is not here to explain itself to a white audience. Jessie Florence Jones is an academic and creative writer researching 20th and 21st century American literature
- Art in Action: The Whitechapel Centre and New Beginnings
by Jessie Jones "This is why "MEP" is such a refreshing thing to witness. When asked what the photography group had done for them, service users answered that it offered them: Jessie Florence Jones is an essayist, journalist, and editor from Liverpool.
- THE WHITE PUBE: AN INTERVIEW
by Jessie Florence Jones "We’re just very aware that outside of that formal publication structure there Well, there'll be none of that here. responsibility to provide something meaningful to people who are financially not able to fuck away a weekend in zone To apply for the writer's grant, and find out more about The White Pube follow the link: here Jessie Florence Jones is an essayist, journalist, and editor from Liverpool.
- A BLOOD CONDITION | In Conversation With Poet Kayo Chingonyi
by Jessie Jones Our Literature Editor Jessie Jones spoke to Kayo Chingonyi about his new poetry collection Along with a reading of some of the wonderful poems from A Blood Condition, Jessie and Kayo discuss his
- Nona Fernández’ Secret Dimensions: A review of The Twilight Zone and Space Invaders
Nona Fernández’ compelling novels Space Invaders and The Twilight Zone (Daunt Books, July 2022) arguably The Twilight Zone fuses truth and fabrication with a collage of divergences, hopping spiritedly from Contrasting with the singular narrator of The Twilight Zone, Fernández invokes a plurality of voices That could become overwhelming, but Fernández’s sparse tone provides balance. The Twilight Zone and Space Invaders are available now via Daunt Books.
- 'Savage': An Interview With Director Denis Dobrovoda
Savage is the story of Mokonzi, played by Florence Nzenwefi, a young African man who has been brought We discussed his research on human exhibition, as well as how Florence and he captured this traumatic How did you work with Florence to capture that? Working with Florence was a great pleasure - he is an amazing talent. You can follow on instagram actor Florence Nzenwefi @n.zenwefi and writer/director Denis Dobrovoda @denisdobrovoda
- Gaming In The Wild #8: Bound, Rez Infinite, Telling Lies, Lonely Mountains: Downhill & No Man's Sky
episode I talk about five games on PS4, PSVR and Nintendo Switch: Bound, Rez Infinite, Telling Lies, Lonely
- Lost Amongst the Noise: Lesley Chow's You're History Reviewed
From discussing Beyoncé’s glee yet smug tone in Love On Top to the emotional difference between Gloria Jones and Soft Cell’s “whoa” and “ohhhh” in their respective versions of Tainted Love, she explores , she hones in on the feeling that is a result of the sound; whether that be the pure pleasure and ecstasy favours” or Taylor Swift publicly calling out a new Netflix show for writing “lazy, deeply sexist joke
- Definitely Maybe Actually Nevermind
"Enough of this Bridget Jones bullshit" a disembodied narrator yells as Crystal launches into a lipsync The Pianist offers prop mics from hairbrushes to hairspray as the show collides Jane Austen and The Weather
- Why Is London So Full Of Anti-Boris Graffiti?
former public boy's school of Eton, while Glasgow’s viral “Boris is still a pure fanny” campaign was done Even the Guardian’s obnoxious art critic Jonathan Jones, despite believing that “graffiti is ugly, stupid
- 'Blacks Can't Swim: The Sequel': An Interview With Director Ed Accura
Ed set up the BSA with Danielle Obe, Alice Dearing and Seren Jones, to help tackle these issues.
- CPH:DOX Reviewed: 'Raising A School Shooter' by Frida & Lasse Barkfors
Parents, Sue Klebold, Jeff Williams and Clarence Elliott are left in the aftermath of their child’s reprehensible Whilst Jeff and Clarence call their sons in jail, with a renewed attentiveness in their unfailingly supportive of a situation where the extent of a parent’s ‘unconditional’ love could be so tested; Sue, Jeff and Clarence
- Project Fear: The Lighthouse Reviewed
In Chavs, Owen Jones sees the 2008 film Eden Lake as symptomatic of right-wing paranoia about a 'criminalised
- Saucy Sez And The Poetics Of Hope
Make enemies with who you think you should become" Reviewed exhibition: Saucy Sez, when everything has gone powerful and moving exhibition outside of the devastating context of the pandemic. when everything has gone This note to self, address to the nation, statement to the world, sets the tone, delivered with commanding As the poem concludes ‘And when everything has gone to shit don’t forget to remember’, a scarlet mirror Half way through the year I thought I was done with art altogether, nearly deleted this account & said
- Five Things I Learned At The World Transformed (2019)
First, an unnamed black woman, who had entered the tent with her young child in a pram as Owen Jones,
- What Would It Take for You to Leave the City?
My dad had just gone bankrupt, and we were living in a one bedroom flat when he took me, in my pram, We are forced to recognise that ‘air pollution’ is a broad and messy term, encompassing the Nitrogen provided us with the means to monitor, record and - the final irony - artistically comment on the damage done Like Pinsky’s exhibition, it finds its value nowhere more evidently than in its forensic examination
- 'What You See Is What You Get. Like A Pineapple.' Meet The Kirkwood Brothers
Everything is put out on display - even the messy parts.
- When Capitalism Consumes: Deleting the Socialism from William Morris
when going to the theatre to see a production of Gilbert & Sullivan with his close friend Edward Burne-Jones
- More than a Meditation: A Review of Drumz of the South: The Dubstep Years 2004-2007
Drawing on Cook’s photographs of smoky dancefloors, messy bedrooms and pirate radio stations, South London
- "Humans Aren’t The Virus, We’re The Vaccine": Eco-Fascism In The Age Of Pandemic
Annie Bocock is the founder of Art for Messy Beings, they are a content creator and speaker for TEDxBrayfordPool You can follow them on Instagram at Art For Messy Beings and watch her TEDxBrayfordPool talk here.
- Courtroom Fights, Dive Bar Debauchery and Poisoned Pens: Week Two at BFI London Film Festival
in Notting Hill and where young members of the Black Panthers gather, such as Darcus Howe and Atheia Jones-LeCointe
- Daily Mail Dystopia: The 1000 Days that Destroyed Britain Reviewed
Chris Mullin’s 1982 novel A Very British Coup may lack the mouth-frothing intermissions on Owen Jones
- Welcome to the Factory: Interview with Extinction Rebellion
We have done everything we first set out to do and more here.” Yet the sights and sounds of labour were all around, and the objects shimmered in their flourescent production millions of people, that crops will fail, no water, air pollution...This is the future unless something is done ." "...And our politicians haven't done a fucking thing about it!"
- In Prison Under Lockdown: The Awards Connecting UK Prisoners With Artistic Practice
(Image: Koestler Arts) Society's desires to punish and rehabilitate coexist in all their messy contradictions
- Sexing the Mantelpiece: Connor Coulston at Burton at Bideford
"They were made with speed as though the maker was going to die tomorrow and he needed to get them done They were made with speed as though the maker was going to die tomorrow and he needed to get them done I wanted to capture that speed and desperation to get them done whilst at the same time giving you everything
- CAKE OR BREAK #2: An American Recaps Bakeoff Episode 2
by Hannah Jane Cohen I still don’t exactly understand what a biscuit is. Jamie is over and Jamie is gone Jamie's decided it's time to move on Jamie has new dreams he's building Jamie, who EGG WASHED a FIG ROLL, which apparently you aren’t supposed to do… is gone. Based in Iceland, Hannah Jane Cohen is the Listings Director for The Reykjavík Grapevine and was recently
- Emerging: The Poetry of Dr. Rosa Sierra
childhood trauma and poverty rooted in family and societal dysfunction, and adds that "the writings I've done I wake and feel them wrapped around my bones Filling my lungs, overflowing my eyes Soft blankets and
- This Is Dangerous: In Conversation with Topher Campbell
It's not a space for agendas, defiance, resistance, surprise, messiness… it’s a space for convention.
- Games As Activism: Refugees' Stories In 'Bury Me, My Love'
We caught up with Florent Maurin, the founder of The Pixel Hunt, the Paris-based developer which brought They were cracking jokes and sending each other emojis, just as I would with my friends over WhatsApp
- Brexiting the Vampire Castle
These men – Britons to be – were aristocrats gone feral in the forest: “They have preferred living after She appeared before him, and told him what must be done: Brutus! The daughters sought men to marry, and perhaps kill, but found none, so settled for the only inhabitants Once the giants were done, Brutus could establish his new city, a brand-new Troy, on the River Thames
- ENDLESS SKY Runner-Up - Emily Cotman
our orbitals together again and sink, so chill we awaken a seed (and now would you look what we’ve done
- Dying To Be Famous
By Ciarán Daly What does it say about us: that we crucify our idols and use their bones to sell Bibles The British public sneered when North Koreans wept in the streets following the death of Kim Jong-Il, What does this say about us: that we crucify our idols and use their bones to sell Bibles?
- Gaming In The Wild #30: Dear Esther
Fans of more recent games like Gone Home and What Became of Edith Finch?
- Gaming In The Wild #24: Virginia, Ori, and the Aurora Borealis
'Ori and the Blind Forest' (2015: Moon Studios) Many games are described as cinematic, but few have gone
- When Your Art Is Obsolete: Iceland's Reigning Drag King On Lockdown Art
We know (and they do too, probs) that they haven’t done the work and thus don’t deserve the title of furry fanart welcome to the world, my child So my friend, we have arrived at the precipice: Can drag be done Drag, as we know it, is gone, but our desire to inhabit our characters has not. HANS cannot die. None of us did and I fucking hate it. If I wanted to be an Influencer, I would have pursued that.
- What If...Pokemon Go Had Taken Over the World?
although how far the Pokémon-go virus had spread was impossible to deduce now the last radio signals had gone But then the fluorescent dot from her Pokegoggles grew larger.
- Living the Future You Want To See: Stonehenge HAG
There was no judgment, no jokes at his expense, simply a willingness to help and a willingness to learn How that guilt was lessened in more toxic or disorganised camps where the dishes were never done or the
- Muneera Pilgrim: The disruptive Bristol storyteller fighting back against gatekeepers
"So, there are a tier of people who are doing extremely well and we’re like ‘look at them: they’ve done So, what’s to be done?
- I've Seen Your Repulsion and it Looks Real Good on You
Lord knows no one wanted to face what was done on their watch, not just to me but throughout the generations It's not sin if you're carrying out God's will, and if you feel any kind of bad about what you've done childhood trauma and poverty rooted in family and societal dysfunction, and adds that "the writings I've done
- Fresh From Rotterdam Film Festival: Final Round Up
vamps with the budget to get extremely into their new lifestyle, but what I got was an uncertain hazing-gone-wrong Karen Cinorre (4 stars) This film hits somewhere between an all-female Arthur Ransome novel and Lovely Bones However, apart from being drab in colour, the films character and tone felt extremely pro-life.
- 263 Streams Per Dollar: The Union of Musicians and Allied Workers Interview
“I feel really lucky that I have other freelance work - I previously worked as a teacher, I’ve done writing The Make Amazon Pay movement has gone global this year, while the Alphabet Workers’ Union has formed
- No one Turned Up to the Funeral
The people are all gone. Scattered flowers driftwood, voyages splintered for good.
- CPH:DOX Round-up II: Fungi, Couples Therapy and Filming Strangers
A young couple in a messy relationship sit down in a cinema and play each other reconstructed episodes
- How K-Pop Revived My Love For Urdu
a tradition of people who prided themselves over their command of the language, something must have gone
- "Get Your House Into Order": Statement From The Working Class Artist Group
This statement and this thinking should have been done by people on the largest salaries but in their failure to do so we have done it for them, we now expect them to take this up and build a new sector
- Reshaping The Future: In Conversation with Joss Sheldon
Teamwork has gone. Play has gone. It’s those guys who really get things done.
- The Art, the Artist, and RuPaul's Drag Race
by Rich Giptar “By editing Joey Gugliemelli out of Drag Race but retaining Joe Exotic, Netflix shows By episode two the show had done exactly that. Finlay claimed Joe was controlling and one of his employees, Josh Dial, suggested Joe bankrolled Maldonaldo Joe Exotic isn’t producing any kind of art. While Gugliemelli’s actions tarnish the performance art that he creates, for Joe his misogynistic and
- Sounds Sans Spectacle: Listening In The Algorithmic Age
software accessible to anybody, these DJs are able to create awe-inspiring, alien, and occasionally messy
- 5 Reasons Why Sustainable Fashion Matters Right Now
by Olivia Jane Riley "Post Covid-19 ,we are starting to think about what a ‘new normal’ will look like Olivia Jane Riley blogs about sustainable fashion on Instagram @ojrfashion.
- I Hate This Sceptred Isle: Why Upstart Crow Is The Best Of British Comedy
But there are also fart jokes, easy slapstick punches, funny-sounding words. Even the joke that characters refer to balls as 'bollingbrooks' works on multiple levels. of the scenes go on too long for me, some of the stereotypes are occasionally worrisome, some of the jokes don't land, or are too on the nose, but I imagine for every joke I don't like there is someone out there